In 1945 a midwifery school is established in Plovdiv. In 1954, after the merger of the nursing school and the midwifery school, there is laid the beginning of a United Medical School.
From 1972 to 1997 the education of midwives is carried out at a College Medical Institute in Plovdiv. In 1997 Under the Higher Education Act and the contemporary European trends the College Medical Institutes are transformed into Medical Colleges and enter the structure of the Medical Universities. This is the first major step in our country for an adjustment of the midwifery profession to the European standards.
In accordance with an Ordinance on USR for an acquisition of a higher education for „Nursing“ and „Midwifery“ for an educational-qualification bachelor degree for specialties from regulated professions accepted with Decree №248 of CM from 2005 / Prom. SG. 95 of 2005. Amend. and suppl., SG. 82 of 2006, a higher education of the specialties “Nursing” and “Midwifery” is acquired in faculties and /or branches of higher schools that have received accreditation under the Higher Education Act.
By virtue of these decrees, from 1.09.2006 the „Midwifery” specialty is transferred to the structure of Medical Faculty at Medical University Plovdiv. The Academic Board of MU–Plovdiv made some organizational and structural changes concerning the education of nurses and midwives and established the department of „Nursing and Midwifery cares” at Medical Faculty. The first heads of this department are Assoc.Prof. Dr. N. Krasteva, md –since the establishment of the department in 2006 to 2009 and Assoc.Prof.Dr. D. Kichukova from 2009 to 2014.
By the decision of the Academic Board of Medical University -Plovdiv–report № 5/10.07.2014 the department of „Nursing and Midwifery cares“ is transferred as a structural unit from the Medical Faculty to the Faculty of Public Helath at the same University.
With the next step by the decision of АU № 6 of 25.09.2014 and the Decision of the RS № 16 of 7.10.2014 there were made changes in the structure of the department and there were established two separate departments –the department of „Nursing cares” and the department of „Midwifery cares”.
Academic Rank Lecturers: :
Associate Professor Milena Gancheva Sandeva, PhD – Head of Department
Professor Blagovest Kostadinov Pehlivanov, DM, PhD, DMSc
Assistant Professors and Instructors:
Assistant Professor Boris Georgiev Kuzmanov, DM
Assistant Professor Marieta Simeonova Vladimirova
Zlatina Ivanova Nikolova – Rancheva
Senior Instructor Elena Vasileva Mihaylova
Senior Instructor Ivanka Kirilova Dimitrova
Senior Instructor Teodora Dimitrova Momchilova
Senior Instructor Diruhi Amudjian
Instructor Дарина Николаева Русчукова