The teachers in the department use AudaxCeph in their studies. AudaxCeph also benefits students training and undergraduates in the department.
AudaxCeph features allow orthodontists to perform digital cephalometric analysis to detail the treatment plan, predicts the changes during skull growth and enables a virtual simulation of the expected results of orthodontic treatment.
e-mail : [email protected]
Orthodontics training starts in semester VI with the discipline Preclinical Study of Orthodontics and together with the clinical seminars during semesters VII, VIII and IX, it consists of 165 academic hours of seminars and 60 academic hours of lectures. The course finishes with an Orthodontics examination at the end of the ninth semester. After a 15-day undergraduate internship at the Department of Orthodontics, students sit a state final examination.
Orthodontic residents are trained in the Department in a residency programme that includes 26 academic hours of clinical practice and lectures per week. The number of orthodontic residents varies up to 6 people, and so far more than 20 foreign and 16 Bulgarian residents who have successfully passed the state final examinations have gone through the training course.
The Department of Orthodontics has well-equipped modern educational and medical facilities:
- two clinical halls with 10 workstations;
- three preclinical seminar halls with 21 seats each;
- a specialized hall for interns;
- one doctoral students’ office;
- 1 residents’ hall with 4 workstations;
- modern medical diagnostic equipment;
- modern computer and multimedia equipment.
For the preparation of the educational activities, the assistants have offices and equipment at their disposal.
Ass. Prof. Silviya Angelova Krasteva – Head of department
Ass. Prof. Svetlana Veselinova Yordanova – Coordinator „Postgraduate education”
Ass. Prof. Miroslava Ves. Yordanova-Chaprashikyan – Coordinator “Science and research activities”
Senior assistant Dr Katya Georgieva Todorova-Plachiyska
Senior assistant Dr Keti Stoyanova Yovcheva
Senior assistant Dr Mariya Georgieva Stoilova-Todorova – Coordinator „Educational activity“
Dr Georgi Nikolaev Stoilov – “Administration” and “Quality of education” coordinator
Dr Manoela Mitkova Kalaydzhieva – “International projects” coordinator
Dr Konstantin Vanev Georgiev – IT coordinator
Dr Petyr Iliev Yovchev
The research activity in the Department is focused on diagnostics, prevention and treatment of dentomaxillary malocclusions.
Since its establishment, 9 PhD and one DSc dissertations have been defended in the Department. Three textbooks of Orthodontics as well as three handbooks in Bulgarian language and one handbook in English language have been published in cooperation with the Department of Orthodontics at the Faculty of Dental Medicine of Sofia Medical University. The members of the Department have participated in various symposia and congresses in Bulgaria and abroad, and are authors of 250 scientific articles, 2 monographs, 2 inventions and 4 innovations.
Assoc. Prof. Svetlana Yordanova, DDM and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Miroslava Yordanova, DDM completed a project of the Ministry of Education and Science called Cephalometric study of 3D virtual facial modelling for the purpose of construction and visualisation of 3D facial statistics and creation of cephalofacial database (2010).
In 2012, two lecturers were habilitated in the Department – Assoc. Prof. Svetla Yordanova, DDM and Assoc. Prof. Miroslava Yordanova-Chaprashikyan, DDM, and in 2014, Assoc. Prof. Silvia Krasteva was habilitated as well.
- Draganov, I., G. Georgiev, K. Atanasov, V. Yordanov, Fabrication of acrylic base orthodontic appliances for the maxilla, consistent with speech function, No. 757/1981 of the Medical Academy Presidium.
- Petrov, P., K. Atanasov, Georgiev, V. Yordanov, The drug Digiteks and a method for weaning children off some harmful habits, No. 1772/1983 of the Medical Academy Presidium.
- Yordanov, V., Electromyographic method for examination of facial and masticatory muscles in dentomaxillary deformities with a surface electrode, No. 95/1991 in the Techno-Economic Council at the Medical Institute of Plovdiv.
- Yordanov, V., Photographic method for the study of the functional direction of swallowing in the facial muscles, No. 94/1991 in the Techno-Economic Council at the Medical Institute of Plovdiv.
- Yordanov, V., Method for diagnostics of swallowing, invention, reg. No. 79556/1988.
- Yordanov, V., V. Mutafchiev, Removable orthodontic appliance for treatment of dentomaxillary deformities related to improper swallowing, invention, reg. No. 96275/1992.
1. Atanasov, K., V. Andreeva, L. Dekova, N. Gesheva, Handbook for Practical Seminars in Orthodontics, 1978.
2. Atanasov, K., L. Dekova, N. Gesheva, Orthodontics Textbook for Students of Dentistry, 1985.
3. Atanasov, K. et al., Handbook of the District Dentist, 1990, 279-284.
4. Mutafchiev, V., V. Krumova, V. Yordanov, Textbook of Orthodontics for the General Dental Practitioner, 2003.
5. Sv. Yordanova and M. Yordanova-Chaprashikyan, Handbook of Orthodontics for Dental Technicians, 2011, Plovdiv, ISBN 979-954-8326-452.
6. Handbook of Orthodontics for Students, edited by Prof. Vera Krumova, 2012, Sofia, Medicine and Physical Education, ISBN 978-954-420-295-8.
7. Handbook of Orthodontics for Students, 2016, Sofia, Postgraduate Educational Center for Orthodontics, 2nd edition, ISBN 978-619-90600-0-1.
8. Handbook of Orthodontics for Students, 2018, Sofia, Postgraduate Educational Center for Orthodontics, 3rd edition, ISBN 978-619-90600-1-8.
9. Orthodontic Syllabus for Students, 2014, Sofia, 1st edition, ISBN 978-954-420-310-8.
1. Silvia Krasteva, Graphic and analytical analysis of transverse deviations in the movement of the maxilla, 2012, MU – Plovdiv, ISBN 978-954-9349-61-4.
2. Silvia Krasteva, Graphic and analytical analysis of the transverse occlusal deviations in the movement of the maxilla, 2nd extended edition, 2019, MU – Plovdiv, ISBN 978-619-237-026-8.
1. Atanasov, K., Mass orthodontic prevention, scientific degree DMedSc, defended in 1989.
2. Yordanov, V., Examination and diagnosis of swallowing in norm and pathology, scientific degree PhD, defended in 1991.
3. Atanasov, K., Prophylactic value and effectiveness of planned orthodontic treatment, scientific degree PhD, defended in 1976.
4. Yordanova, M., Diagnostic study of the ratios of hard and soft tissues of the facial profile, scientific degree PhD, defended in 2007.
5. Yordanova, Sv., Apical base examination – diagnostic assessment, scientific degree PhD, defended in 2010.
6. Dr. S. Krasteva, Transverse deviations in occlusion – models for diagnostic assessment (2011).
7. Katya Georgieva Todorova-Plachiyska, Radiographic diagnosis in interceptive treatment of a Class II skeletal deformity, defended in 2017.
8. Kety Stoyanova Yovcheva, Epidemiological study of dentomaxillary deformities in temporary dentition and the need for prevention, defended in 2017.
9. Maria Georgieva Stoilova-Todorova, Rapid maxillary expansion for correction of transverse maxillary deficiency, defended in 2018.